Sunday, November 16, 2014

Spoiling Attacks?

As signs of Russian invasion proliferate, I keep hearing news of artillery fire in Donetsk--which is rebel held. But nothing says the Ukrainians are doing the shelling.

There is more shooting in Ukraine's east, with Donetsk reportedly being shelled. But nobody says who is doing it:

Fresh volleys of artillery fire were heard across many parts of the separatist stronghold of Donetsk in eastern Ukraine on Sunday, a Ukrainian government statement said, after Kiev warned again of rebel preparations for a fresh offensive.

A Reuters witness in central Donetsk heard several dozen blasts of artillery fire, although it was unclear who had launched them or what was under attack.

Which is odd, since if I was in charge of Ukraine's defenses, I'd sure be using artillery fire to try to disrupt the looming offensive. Who else would shell targets in Donetsk?

And if I was in charge of US policy, I'd be providing the Ukrainians with intelligence on where to shoot.

UPDATE: From four days ago, but relevant. This speaks of a Russian objective of filling in and rounding out terrain gains to make a border that is less convoluted.

We shall see if that is all Russia wants. I once thought that Russia wouldn't try to take land in the east if they really had to fight for it, but they've lost 300 troops dead so far. So I don't know their pain threshold.

UPDATE: Reports Monday of shelling at the airport--Ukrainian held--which I assume is the first target for Russia.