Tuesday, December 24, 2013

And to My Beloved Children ...

... I leave my light bulbs. May you enjoy their harsh glow and pass them down to your children one day.

Because the new ones we're allowed to buy will last longer than the actuarial tables say I'll live:

The United States has been phasing out the lights and next year companies won't be allowed to make them anymore.

The alternatives that hardware stores recommend include halogen lamps, CFL, and LED lights. "They're more up front. They're going to last forty years versus lasting three or four months."

Three or four months? I can go years between changing incandescent bulbs anywhere in my home!

And as I noted, in my car port, the old incandescent over my car still glows while the new forty-year bulbs already died.

Yeah, the new bulbs are great. Much better than the old ones.

That's why the government won't let us buy the old style bulbs. We're just too stupid to make the right choice. We can't have a repeat of the Beta versus VHS fiasco, can we?

And yes, I curse George W. Bush for letting this nonsense pass.

Tip to Instapundit.