Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Dead. No Boils.

I've made no secret of my opposition to the European Union since I started my blog almost three years ago. I think I was clear in this recent post:

I am no fan of the European Union proto-dictatorship project. I think it will be a disaster for the United States and lead to the loss of democracy in Europe. Europe will become a Soviet Union Lite that will be neutral at best, selling arms to our enemies; or hostile, ending a century of our policy that has prevented an opponent from organizing the continent's resources against us.


So France voting no and the Dutch voting no in numbers that even their leadership had to acknowledge are two events that give me hope:

The rejection of the charter by two of the six countries that founded the bloc in the 1950s could deal a fatal blow to a treaty designed to make the EU run more smoothly following its enlargement from 15 to 25 states last year.

The votes also cast doubt on the EU's hopes for a stronger foreign policy and its plans to expand further to the western Balkans, Turkey and Ukraine, and raised questions about its appetite for economic reform amid mounting global competition.

The Dutch "No" vote of 61.6 percent was even more decisive than the nearly 55 percent scored by French opponents of the treaty. Turnout was also a strong 62.8 percent, well above the 39 percent in last year's European parliament election.

EU leaders urged member states to press on and ratify the constitution, but analysts said they should admit the document is dead. EU leaders are due to decide how to proceed when they meet for a regular summit on June 16-17.


It should kill it. But who knows? The Euzis in Brussels aren't known for their devotion to democracy. The unwashed masses are so ignorant, don't you know?

Some are upset that the White House seems to be saddened by what should be happy days for America.

I'm hoping that the White House is adopting the posture of not wanting to intervene when your opponents are busy disemboweling each other. Why should the US jump in to side with the no vote now? Quietly enjoy the moment and then exploit it by pushing for good relations with individual nations.

But I'm happy the EU is dying. And really, I wasn't serious about the festering boils stuff.