Thursday, February 03, 2005

Boil the Frog Slowly

While I think we need to squeeze North Korea until they collapse, we have to string them along as much as possible so that the Pillsbury Nuke Boy never feels his choice is his own destruction or attacking with all his might. If it seems like his situation is only a little worse and maybe a little more talking or blustering will get aid to save him, the PNB will keep talking as his regime crumbles. Eventually, he'll get used to the crumbling and by the time it reaches an unstoppable point of collapse it will be too late to destroy Seoul.

I've read that if one boils a frog in water slowly, the frog won't notice that it is boiling and so won't jump from the heated water to save itself, dying without noticing it is being killed. (And no I don't know if this is true) So when I read that the President is taking a "softer" tone with a regime he loathes, I don't worry. Working with the Japanese to getting talks going again is just bringing Kim jong-Il to a simmer.

My apologies to anyone who thought this was a post to slam Chirac. Business before pleasure...