Thursday, March 14, 2013

And Yet We Re-elected President Obama

North Korea reports on the wasteland of America, kept alive by North Korean humanitarian aid. Mmmm, North Korean coffee ...

Tip to Weekly Standard.

So when you tell me that there is no way North Korea would start a war because North Korea is so obviously ill prepared for war, explain why we know for sure that the North Koreans know that they'd lose.

Or, if they really do understand that they'd lose a war, explain to me how we know for sure that North Korea understands that they can't start some limited armed conflict and expect South Korea to just back down and refrain from starting up the escalation ladder?

Or, explain to me why even if the North Koreans understand that there is a 99% chance that they'd lose any war, why they might not consider a 1% chance of victory--or just survival if the war can be ended before South Korean troops march on Pyongyang--to be better than a 100% chance of collapsing into chaos if they don't take that 1% chance.

Yes, barring a virtual act of God, we would pound North Korea into the ground at the end of the war. But the price in blood and treasure would be high to do so. And the price to help North Korea recover from the six decades of brutal Kimunist rule would be far more expensive in money.

Given the twisted reality that even the elite may believe up north, I'm not confident that I know what "rational" means to them.

And really, I'm not willing to give up any of my melted snow sustenance for the sake of North Koreans. I'd be bummed enough that I won't be able to go to Kimbucks any more.