Thursday, June 30, 2011

I Enjoyed This Part

So President Obama has to defend his war of choice in Libya. I can comment on his press conference freely because while I question his decision to intervene and his strategy, I still want to win. And I don't believe it is wrong to push for regime change in Libya.

I have consistently defended the Iraq War in this blog. One of my basics was that however much you want to argue whether the methods or even the decision to go to war or continue fighting were correct, the idea that it was immoral to overthrow the savage Saddam regime and then defeat Baathist, al Qaeda, and Sadrist thugs in a counterinsurgency is just ridiculous. Yet the anti-war side managed to claim (in their own minds, anyway) the moral high ground for being anti-war.

So when questioned about the Libya War, President Obama's answer is just priceless:


We have engaged in a limited operation to help a lot of people against one of the worst tyrants in the world -- somebody who nobody should want to defend -- and we should be sending a unified message to this guy that he should step down and give his people a fair chance to live their lives without fear. And this suddenly becomes the cause célèbre for some folks in Congress? Come on. 


Come on, indeed. Until someone against the Libya War starts speaking of the Khaddafi loyalists as "Minutemen," don't even talk to me about celebrating an enemy and sending a unified message.

I mean, come on.