Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Three Percent?

I'm glad the Opt Out protest advocated for today is fizzling out.

The big Opt-Out looked like a big bust Wednesday as most of the Thanksgiving travelers selected for full-body scans and pat-down searches chose to submit to them rather than create havoc on one of the busiest flying days of the year.

The airports which are targets are not the proper place for a protest that gums up the works.

I heard today on a radio show that 3% of passengers are selected for body scans. Only those who refuse the scans are manually searched. If the percent is really that low, I'll reconsider my "tilt" to opposing the searches. My inclination to want only intelligence based use of the scanners and pat downs may still be the best way to go, or maybe not.

If the TSA can modify the scanners to reduce the ick factor of appearing to offer peeping tom opportunities for security staff, I could get on board with supporting the program. We are at war, after all.