Sunday, September 19, 2010

Well, We Don't Have an Embassy to Storm

I do hope that this early report about Iranians capturing American soldiers is wrong:

"Recently seven American troops were detained by Iranian guards in a southeastern province of the country ... Two Iranians accompanying the troops were also arrested," said Fars.

I have no doubt that the Iranians would love to humiliate us by holding some of our people hostage. But I find it hard to believe that we'd be that careless near the border or wouldn't have fought if confronted.

But then, I wouldn't have thought that British sailors would let themselves be captured by the Iranians. I think my conclusion in that post applies here:

And if this is going on four months from now, explain to me again how it would have been a bad idea within thirty minutes of figuring out Iran's game to start destroying Pasdaran military assets in around-the-clock attacks until the fifteen were released.

Explain why it would have been rash for the British to declare to the Iranians that they want Tulley alive or Ahmadinejad dead.

With Britain unwilling to confront Iran over these hostages, we are indeed witnessing the end of an era. And if Iran get nukes, we will witness the beginning of another.
 
But it is early. Who knows if the report is even true?