Friday, November 13, 2009

20 CCs of Nuance, Stat!

I know I lack the nuance gene when I contemplate health care legislation.

Sure, I understand that it could be good to improve quality, increase efficiency, and expand access. Those are all fine goals in theory.

But as I understand it, the main concern is that there is supposed to be a population of tens of millions who cannot get health insurance, and so do not have access to health care.

Given that a massive health care bureaucracy is planned to get insurance to those people who can't get insurance, why does the legislation envision fining these people for failing to buy health insurance--with the threat of jail time for failing to pay their fines?

I mean, if the issue is that these people can't get health insurance, why is there a need to compel them to buy what will be made available to them?

Like I said, I clearly lack the nuance gene.