Thursday, July 13, 2006

Bottom Line

Do not be fooled into thinking that our actions regarding Iran indicate we are unwilling to act to prevent the mullahs from getting nukes.

Robert Kagan writes:

Let's imagine, and this is purely hypothetical, that President Bush has already decided that he will not leave office in January 2009 without a satisfactory resolution of the Iranian nuclear problem.


Kagan writes that much of what we are doing now fits with this assumption.

I think this pretty much sums up my feelings. I cannot imagine that this president has decided to punt on the Iran question and let his successor deal with the problem.

We are buying time with Iran, hoping we will get lucky but prepared to act when we don't get lucky.

We won't get lucky.

And we will act. I'd say we act soon but I've been wrong a lot on assuming action was imminent.