Monday, August 14, 2017

Uber-Nerdiness Descends

At the monthly game night at Casa TDR, we stepped up to Uber-Nerdiness with a 3D-printed Catan map that one of our group produced. We had but a small group this month, which was lucky because we only had the pieces for the small board and not the expansion.

The poop emoji is used to signify whose turn it is. A few beers into the evening and that is quite helpful.

It took a bit longer to set up than the regular board, which we've evolved into a well-trained pit crew in resetting for a new game. But we adjusted. The ports are an issue. They need paint to match their resource so they can be identified from farther than 2 inches.

I fear going to a 3D board puts such a pungent stench of nerdiness on me that I am doomed not to re-marry. 

We get in 3-5 games with beer and food, then relax with a Game of Thrones episode and coffee while assessing driving ability. Thus far nobody has had to take me up on my offer to put them up for the night! What a responsible group.

I was red in that game. And yes, orange was not happy with me at that point.

Fun time. We used to play war games but I'm nearly alone in liking that, so we've moved on to other board games. Catan has been the standard for a few years now because it is fun and quick to play as well as easy to teach for newbies.

We've been doing this for many, many years now; and if everyone on the email list showed up we couldn't all play! I have contingency plans for overbooking that do not involve dragging anyone off the plane.