Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Summer Soldiers and Sunshine Patriots

I'm with Lileks on this one:

I didn’t love America any less in the Clinton years than I did in the Bush years, or vice versa; I don’t conflate my opinions about transitory leaders with my opinion about the nation’s role in history and its exceptional, if occasionally improvised, conflicted, and compromised struggle to do the right thing. I mean, go back in history and find another one of us. (Note: small ethnically coherent Nordic states that can’t project power six feet over the border really don’t count.) But unqualified love of country unnerves some people, as though the lack of qualifications means you don’t recognize qualifying factors. Me, I think they’re obvious; we’re made of humans, after all, and every house we build has beams of crooked timber. But I don’t recall a lot of FDR speeches laying out a litany of American sins in order to bolster the case for why America should fight Hitler, despite all those troubling similarities. After all, we lynched Jews, too, ergo we must face our own demons as well as those abroad. And so on.


If you only love your country when your party is in power, you don't love your country--you love your political party.

And that goes for finally becoming proud of your country later in life. If you're not proud of our record, even admitting to faults that don't negate the good we've done, prior to November 2008, you're not actually proud of our country at all.