Thursday, April 13, 2006

FUCing Insane

Rebels in Chad (called FUC) are trying to overthrow the Chadian government. The French have taken actions to prop up the government and it appears as if the rebels have failed:


France, which already has 1,200 soldiers in the country, on Wednesday ordered another 150 there in response to the worsening security situation that has triggered alarm across the international community.

The FUC rebels, which are seeking to oust Deby, were battling government troops Thursday on the outskirts of N'Djamena, and a number of them had entered the capital, military sources said.

The president however said that the army was in control of the city.

Now don't get me wrong--I'm sure Chad is probably the shining jewel of the Sahara region and all that. Heck, just having Sudan, Nigeria, and Libya amongst your bordering neighbors boosts your ratings considerably, I imagine--but don't you have to be seriously whackjob insane to fight to take control of the country? Shouldn't there be a classic comedy routine of a crowd of Chadians at the door to the presidential office with each saying to the others, "No, you first. I insist. Really" rather than actual fighting over who has the dubious privilege of running the dry cesspool with a UN seat?

I mean, you shouldn't be able to give the place away. Sure, there's oil and uranium, and so somebody can surely profit from it--but to run the place? Man, if I was Deby, I'd seriously be tempted to tell the rebels to give me an hour to pack my bags and I'm outta there. And shame on me if I didn't have a bank account in Swtizerland already.

Honestly, fighting for the title of president of Chad makes about as much sense as fighting to run Haiti.

UPDATE: I'm honestly shocked at the number of hits from Islamic countries on the term "fucing" on the apparent failure to realize that in English you really need a "k" in there to get what they are looking for (checking the google page for their search results was enlightening). They'd best hope the local morality and vice police aren't tracking their, erm, "key strokes" so to speak ...