Sunday, March 25, 2018

Stop, Don't, Come Back

I don't know if China's One Belt, One Road project (aka the New Silk Road) that extends trade routes to Europe largely through Russia on land will work, but I do know I want China to try.



China may invest up to $8 trillion& by 2049 in their "megaproject."

It may actually be too little to do any good, despite the grand scale.

And it may promote anger and resentment on the route to Europe. India, especially, will worry, as the initial article notes.

But it will at least redirect China inland and away from confrontation with America and our allies at sea.

It will certainly create economic interests requiring defending that will split Chinese military spending between air-supported land power in the interior of Asia and air-supported sea power in the Pacific.

While it would be better to win than lose a war with China, I'd rather avoid any war. And getting China focused away from the sea where we and our Pacific allies are is as good a means as any.

UPDATE: I don't know why I had that rail gun video embedded. I must have thought I was editing another post. Or ... I might have tried to add a map but the paste feature was stuck on the video and I didn't notice. So let me add a map just in case.