Friday, November 11, 2016

To Know and To Do

This Canadian journalist, at the age of 46, decided he had to know what Canadian soldiers did--and do it himself. He served in Canada's reserves.

Good for him. On this Veterans Day (or Remembrance Day in Canada), think of the men and women who served in uniform--those who know and who did--to protect us and keep us free. Whether here, in Canada, or in the nations of our friends and allies.

To know and to do sums up my reasons for serving. I felt it was my duty as an American. And I felt that as someone who wanted to deal with national security issues in my career, I should have some inkling of what it was like to be a soldier at war. If I could not manage to serve successfully, how could I analyze?

Like the journalist understands, I never got more than a glimpse of what it is like. And even if  I had gone--and my unit was almost deployed to war--as a rear echelon type I still would have only gotten a faint glimpse that would never provide comprehension of what combat soldiers endure.

But my limited service has made me more fully appreciate the men and women who go through it all to protect us and keep us free.