Sunday, October 09, 2016

Good Enough for Government Work?

Funny enough, Scott Adams judged the value of the first presidential debate the same way I did before the debate.

Wrote Adams:

Trump was defensive, and debated poorly at points, but he did not look crazy. And pundits noticed that he intentionally avoided using his strongest attacks regarding Bill Clinton’s scandals. In other words, he showed control. He stayed in the presidential zone under pressure. And in so doing, he solved for his only remaining problem. He looked safer.

By tomorrow, no one will remember what either of them said during the debate. But we will remember how they made us feel.

Clinton won the debate last night. And while she was doing it, Trump won the election. He had one thing to accomplish – being less scary – and he did it.

I thought that by being in a presidential setting--the debate where presidential candidates stand--that Trump would achieve a goal of appearing presidential as long as he didn't face plant obviously.

Yet the polls have slipped for Trump since that debate. Did he obviously face plant in the eyes of the public?

Sure, Clinton is judged to have won. But not anywhere near the level I thought would indicate failure. I know I'm biased against that corrupt Clinton but I am hardly biased in favor of Trump--who I despise as a clown.

But Adams thinks Trump passed that hurdle. And won the election. If he is serious, of course. I can't dismiss the idea that he is trolling the Left.

So what is going on? I clearly don't know.

I certainly believe our republic under rule of law won't end if either of these way too flawed candidates wins.

But we can surely see the end from either's victory.