Saturday, June 21, 2014

An Unbelievably Small Offensive Line

While I laughed at the idea of renaming the Washington, D.C. football team the "Redshirts," I have to suggest the "Redlines" as more appropriate for our capital's team in this age.

While I can see why some might not like Redskins as a team name, for a long time most American Indians have had no problems with the name. And it seemed to have no hostile racial overtones in usage. Are overly sensitive activists creating an offense where none existed before?

I'd have more sympathy for the campaign against the Redskins if Eastern Michigan Union--where I received my MA--hadn't given in to PC attack to rename their team, the Hurons--an actual tribal name--to "Eagles."

At the rate we are going, it will be the Washington Skins of Redness.

While we're at it, let's just rename Oklahoma "Debbie" and end the constantly moving goal posts of what offends.

Hey, if there is genuine hurt among American Indians over the name, I'm not going to say they shouldn't be offended and I'm not going to defend the name. Just because I don't get upset over the whole Notre Dame "Fighting Irish" name, implying we are all drunken brawlers in Leprechaun costumes doesn't mean offense to others can't be given.

But the whole thing seems silly.