Saturday, April 19, 2014

The Tax Meta Data

Instapundit notes TurboTax's lobbying effort to make sure tax filing is more difficult.

Yes, complicated is better--for them.

Which reminds me of a tax preparer company's commercials discussing their role in helping you comply with the complicated federal tax code.

Preparing your taxes, the commercial says, is like preparing the story of your life over the last year.

The story of your life in deductions and credits.

I don't want the federal government getting the story of my life when I pay my taxes. After all, they might disapprove of the story:

New emails show that both the IRS and Justice Department were involved in a probe of Tea Party and other conservative groups. This is no mere scandal — it's a major breach of the law.

Tip to Instapundit.

When I pay my taxes, I want the federal government to get the revenue needed to run government and carry out the core functions of government that Congress has authorized. They have no business getting the story of my life for the last year.