Sunday, March 24, 2013

Red and Green and Dark All Over

Earth Hour kind of snuck up on me this year.

I didn't read anything at all about that annual act of public ritual penance where we are supposed to turn off our lights for an hour. I only knew because Canadian TV hockey announcers mentioned it during a game last night.

Somehow, that just seemed wrong. Like a bikini-centric beer commercial suddenly mentioning liver failure. Or reminding men that beer guts are more likely than attracting young babes.

I guess the lack of fawning wall-to-wall coverage that I couldn't avoid in the past is progress. But fear not! Our glorious comrades in North Korea carried the ball for those of you too busy with your electrified lives to participate in this 60-minute hate of human progress:


Oh wait. That's every hour of every day in North Korea. They're just livin' the dream, I guess.