Friday, July 27, 2012

OK, Am I Evil?

A couple weeks ago, I received an email from a distraught lecturer or grad student (I assume) teaching an upper level medical course (700-level) seeking help with a classroom microphone that was picking up signals from another source.

Helpful man that I am, I replied and explained to the man that I wasn't the right person to contact for technical help--despite the umich email address.

There. What a nice man I am. Taking time to inform the teacher of his error. How many people would have just left the man dangling by deleting the email and getting on with their lives? I'm just a little bit superior, now, aren't I?

So a couple days ago, I get another email from the same guy with the same problem.

This is a dilemma.

Do I continue to be nice?

Or do I have some fun?

So I sent this: "Try wrapping the signal base with foil to reduce signal overlap." in reply.

Clearly, I'm not as superior as I'd like to think. I'm sure some level of Hell is reserved for people like me.

Sorry, Minerva, I just couldn't resist at this point. I should teach him to read and remember his email, shouldn't I?