Sunday, May 06, 2012

Field Trips

So here's a photo from the Girl Scout field trip last weekend to learn about plant life:


It was in a green house so we avoided the threatening rain.

On Friday, I went with Lamb on another field trip where they learned how to use a compass for land navigation. Considering I learned that in the Army, I thought the kids got too little help on the whole thing and too little time to run through all the compass headings to find information on maps that they were really too young to figure out fast enough. Fourth graders really don't know landmarks of Ann Arbor that most adults know and could find on a map.

They explained what a map utilizes and had the kids draw a map of the big room we started in:


And they didn't tell the kids to bring water on a humid day. I brought a bottle of water for Lamb, so I had my own covered.

Still, it was interesting. I brought my own compass that I used when in the Guard. The kids thought it was pretty fancy compared to the ones they were using.

It was fun to go along with Lamb on the field trip, and help the two-girl group I was with with the map reading and show them how to follow a compass heading.

I cherish this opportunity to be with my daughter when she is still thrilled to have me along!