Sunday, November 27, 2011

How Many Bureaucrats Does It Take To Screw Up a Light Bulb?

I know that the ban originated during the Bush presidency, but the idea that our federal overlords will tell us to stop manufacturing 100 watt incandescent light bulbs is an affront to my sense of liberty that is more insulting than most of the other big stuff they are trying to jam down our throats for our own good.

I know our betters keep telling me that the new bulbs are better. But if they are better--like cheaper to buy or operate, or just provide better lighting, wouldn't people freely adopt it? I'm sorry, but when you force me to use it, I suspect it is simply inferior and denying me alternatives is your only way to get me to use it.

At some point, we reach the straw that breaks the camel's back. Could this inspire true outrage at our over-reaching federal government?

UPDATE: Thank goodness the 100-watt ban goes into effect in January 2012 and not December 2012. Could this idiocy be undone yet at this late date? (tip to Instapundit)

I remain amazed that for Democrats aborting a pregnancy is a matter of "choice"--even for teenage girls--but what kind of freaking light bulb I use to illuminate (and in the winter, warm) my home is beyond my capacity to rationally choose. Just ef them all.