Friday, July 22, 2011

A Girl Thing?

So my daughter had a moment of universal girl mind meld when I took her and Mister back to their mom's.

Earlier, while washing dishes after dinner, I spotted a largish insect on the window inside. It must have come through the screen. It was a firefly so instead of squishing it, I grabbed it and then reached for a jar in the cupboard. I actually managed a live catch and dropped it in the jar, closing the lid with no escape. I hammered a few holes in the lid for air and showed it to Lamb.

By the time it was getting dark and fireflies outside were starting to light up, our firefly was not lighting up. So we took the jar with us for the car ride. I said we'd release the bug at mom's whether it lit or not.

We arrive to let the firefly out and by chance, the neighbor girl and a friend are out on their lawn with jars trying to catch fireflies! I've never noticed that before. So Lamb lets hers out and immediately wants to catch another. The three girls are running on the lawn. They had caught several and give Lamb one; and Lamb spotted one landed on my car that I grabbed. We now had one small and one large. The large one lit up in the jar and we went inside.

I ended up taking them home with Lamb asking me to look up on the Internet (funny how they now grow up to know that this is the key to obscure information) what they eat (pollen, apparently).

But alas, in the morning the big one was belly up. So I released them outside hoping the still one was not dead. Alas, it was an ex-firefly.

But I'll tell Lamb it woke up and flew off. She'd be sad if her desire to keep little bug friends led one to die. I'd hate to spoil that unexpected girl moment she had in pursuit of fireflies with other little girls.