Sunday, May 22, 2011

I Don't Even Know You!

Let me be clear, my son is great. I'm very proud of Mister. But last night I put Monty Python and the Holy Grail in the Blu Ray player to share this movie with him.

He was completely bored and didn't like any of it. He didn't even bother to notice the jokes of the opening credits. And I let it run through the tale of Sir Robin! Nothing. The only hint of appreciation was when he recognized a line ("It's just a flesh wound ...") during the Black Knight scene from National Lampoon's European Vacation.

Yes, I replied! That was Eric Idle. He's in this movie.

What is wrong with kids these days? When I saw this movie at his age, I cried from laughing so hard. I still laugh even though I mostly know it by heart. I still notice new things in the background.

If we can't share Monty Python, I'm not sure I can even begin to think about paying for his college. One must draw the line, mustn't one?

Lest you think he's hooked on high brow PBS stuff, he actually laughs like a maniac with Married With Children. So there is that.

But a dad can only do so much to raise them right. I guess I can only hope he gets into a good crowd in his college dorm that can teach him--if through peer pressure and repetition if nothing else--that Monty Python is funny.