Tuesday, April 26, 2011

The Season for Eggs

In this holy season, the practical effect on me is that eggs become a large part of my diet. Hard boiled eggs. Colorful hard boiled eggs. Well, coddled eggs, really, but there you go.

Why? Because my children like to color eggs:



Lamb loves it. And this year she colored eggs at dad's (a tradition) and at mom's, too. Mister is easing out of the game, requesting only four eggs to color. There is one egg I hate to eat, being a very impressive Easter camouflage pattern done by finger splotching the egg. I'll have to photograph it before I eat it. It had not been created yet in the photo above.

But I'm on an egg diet because they don't like coddled eggs. Lamb is not an egg fan at all. Mister will eat omelets and egg, cheese, and bagel sandwiches. But I can't make either with the eggs sitting in my refrigerator.

I've had many years of this and have many more years ahead of me, even as the torch is passed. I really should be more creative than eggs and hash browns; eggs, cucumbers, and rice; plain eggs; and, of course, egg salad sandwiches. On the bright side, last year was the peak with each child wanting a dozen eggs to color.

And I say this knowing full well that I'll feel an emptiness when spring no longer means an egg diet and scrubbing fingertip to remove food coloring.

Seasons end, don't they?