Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Well, Thanks

I just went to Chipotles in Briarwood mall. I have a night off from seeing my kids, so thought I'd take the opportunity to get a couple birthday cards and a graduation card from the fancy pants card store. While at the mall, I thought, I feel like getting a burrito for dinner.

But the kind of beef I wanted was out. The staff said it would take 5 minutes as they prepared more. I said, no problem.

And they gave me a drink for my trouble. Well, that's darned nice, I thought. Five minutes is no big deal, really.

So I patiently waited and finished my drink. The beef was ready and I ordered my burrito. I added chips and salsa since I figured they were awfully nice to comp me a drink for my supposed troubles. And when I got to the cashier, I was told the meal was free and they were sorry for the wait.

Really, I said, you don't have to do that. No, the guy said, it's on them. And he thanked me.

Not being an unreasonable man, I didn't insult the man by arguing with him further. I'm good for one protest, but don't count on more. I thanked him and left.

I still don't get it. I wasn't rude, so he didn't think I was a Congressman upset at the service. And I wasn't wearing a Red Wings jersey, so he wasn't frightened of me. I was just wearing a suit and tie. Well, the coat was in my car. And my tie was loosened. But what else? I didn't complain about anything and was perfectly polite and pleasant during the whole exchange. Really, I would have paid for the food.

Anyway, thanks to the staff at Briarwood Chipotle. And it was a good burrito, too.