Friday, April 23, 2010

Busy, Busy, Busy

Well, I had a full and long weekend. I'm hoping this one will be calmer (and with more Red Wing victories).

It started early with death of Lamb's pet fish, Swimmy overnight a week ago Thursday. Lamb didn't want to go to school when she discovered this fact Friday morning. There were lots of tears. When I got her in the door at school--and then, after another delay, down the hallway into her class--she was all red-eyed and sniffly. I told the teacher that Lamb was a bit tender after the loss, so please be aware. The school actually called me later to assure me she was doing all right. I thought that was nice.

The drama continued with the funeral Saturday morning with a wooden headstone I made and a tie clip jewelry box with tissue bedding. I dug the hole, while mom said some words. I added some more, thanking God for letting us know Swimmy and expressing thanks that He would watch over His fish. Lamb placed the headstone in place and set out decorative pine cones, saying bye to her fish with fresh tears.

Lamb both wanted her old fish back and wanted a new fish. She expressed anger at the new fish that her mom brought home, and wanted him returned. Her mom and I assured her that we weren't replacing Swimmy, but that this fish needed a home. I told Lamb that it was our responsibility to take care of Swimmy, Jr., and that it wasn't his fault that Swimmy died.

After a brief scare that the new fish was sickly with mom planning a "return" to the store (burial at sea) and a new fish, Lamb echoed my words when mom asked Lamb if we should return Swimmy, saying "No, we have to take care of him."

I also bought a Wii on Friday. I wanted it for Netflix viewing on my TV. I've been meaning to do this, but never got around to getting the gear. But Netflix said they'd send me a disk to connect a Wii to my account. The Wii hooks up to the Internet so I thought I'd get a really good cost savings. As a bonus, Target had Wii on special with their resort sports game tossed in free. Alas, the guy at the storesaid that the Wii does not connect to the Internet independently. I thought maybe it was like a cell phone type of thing. So I'll have to buy the router after all. Still, I'll save a bit of money and have a Wii.

Which is good. I can finally correct that "guy deficiency" I've endured with no first-person shooter game experience. And I figure that with my kids liking video games, this at least gets them up and jumping around more--expecially in bad weather. Mister loved it. Lamb will get a shot tonight for the first time.

So I have a Wii all hooked up and in the next couple weeks I'll connect it to the Internet. And get the FPS game and gun.

I also took Lamb and Mister to see Diary of a Wimpy Kid after school on Friday. It is rare to have one movie both wanted to see. I held off because their mom wanted to take them and I think I've been the one to take them to every movie they've seen. But as work and school took their toll, she said she couldn't do it so I had the green light. They both liked it quite a bit. The wimpy kid was really a jerk. I hadn't realized it. he learns a lesson, of course, but it was different than I expected.

Plus, on Saturday, Mister and I went to see the University of Michigan spring practice. That was a hoot. I loved the alumni player game and Mister loved the scrimmage showing off new players. It was way too cold for the hour gap in between the two events, so next year if it is this cold we'll skip the morning flag game to avoid freezing and begging for sunshine to peek through the clouds.

But we got a yellow fan towel and bear that helped Mott children's hospital, and they were practically giving away last year's student maize-out t-shirts. So the kids got gifts.

Finally, Mister and I saw the Red Wings lose on Sunday afternoon to Phoenix. It started out well enough with an inspiring opening ceremony, complete with octopus:




And they handed out Red Wings towels to wave. Cheap towels made the high ticket prices so worth it!

We played quite well the first period too, against a tough Coyotes team. But then the last two periods were awful to watch. Yet still we had a shot at winning if not for a couple odd calls that negated apparent goals. The hockey Gods were not good to us.

After the Hockey gods reached out and touched me two weeks ago, this seemed very wrong.

Let me explain.

After Detroit beat Chicago in the season-ending game to clinch 5th place in our conference, Mister and I basked in the relief but I didn't think about the logic of this win. With the win, we'd finally know we were playing Phoenix and I could actually think about getting playoff tickets. They were already on sale, but I couldn't buy them until I knew the dates so I could get a weekend game to take Mister. School is still the priority. But it didn't occur to me that the dates should be known after beating Chicago.

So I went to bed Sunday night, yet tossed and turned. I could not fall asleep. That was odd. Usually I drop off to sleep easily. Finally, around 11:50, it occurred to me that the round one schedule should be known!

But I was tired. I thought I could order tickets at lunch the next day. But what if seats were snapped up? What if I had to wait until the evening to order?

So I got up and fired up my computer. The Red Wings site had the schedule. Sunday for game three at home at 3:00 pm! Bingo! So I want to Ticketmaster. But they had no firm schedule. Just options to buy first home game and such options. Am I wrong to know the dates and times when the sellers don't know? I go to the other site that the Wings site highlighted. Same deal. So I call up the toll-free number. They don't know the dates, either. But I start to buy on the phone through the automated system, hoping they'll mention the date. I get good seats, actually, and worried about mail delays, say I'll pick them up. They'll tell me where, right? Sadly, they did not tell me and I could not go back to change to will call. I could buy--and who knows where I have to pick them up "locally", or I could cancel--and lose the good seats. After trying key words in vain to change dleivery or get a human, I cancel.

And then start over--and get better tickets! The gods are truly smiling at me! This time I get the pick up option and complete the deal. Still, I'm uncertain I actually have tickets for a Sunday game! Nonrefundable tickets! The next day I double check with Lamb's grandparents to make sure they can take care of Lamb--they were happy to do so. And I noticed on the Red Wings site that the news article announcing the schedule was posted Sunday night at 11:52 PM! Just a couple minutes after I first woke remembering I should order tickets. Tell me that the hockey gods didn't reach down and shake me awake from the restless netherworld of tired non-slumber I found myself in? Victory seemed assured! I joked I should empty my 401k and bet it all on the Wings in game 3. Luckily, I'm not a total idiot. Still, a fun time at the Joe. And we did tie up the series the next game at home.

One more thing. As I mentioned earlier in relation to my razor blades, after four days of not shaving over the weekend, I experienced the wonder of using newly arrived fresh blades that replaced my rather dull two-decade old blades. Wow. The ease of hacking that growth away will not encourage me to keep up on my shaving. And I won't go more than another decade without replacing blades, that's for sure!

So that was my busy weekend. Tonight Lamb gets to try the Wii and hopefull tonight and Sunday, the Red Wings knock Phoenix out of round one.