Monday, January 04, 2010

The Ink Cartridge of Toys

Lamb loved the EasyBake oven I got her for Christmas. We hauled it out yesterday to bake a cake.

We had to hit Kroger for cooking spray and a non-twisty 100 watt light bulb. Not that I have any twisties, but I had no planet killers of sufficient wattage in my cupboard.

From this experience, I learned that you can't fit a cake not quite baked enough back into the oven through the narrow entry slit to bake it another minute--the slot shaves off the expanded but only partially baked cake.

And I learned that while I was happy the oven was on sale when I bought it, given the price of the baking mixes, the company should freaking give away the ovens to maximize their mix profits by making sure every home has an oven. Seriously, EasyBake puts printer makers to shame on this issue. The markup on the cake mixes has to dwarf the profit on ink for the nearly free printers.

But Lamb loved mixing and baking, and liked the final product even if it didn't look as nice (or as freakishly tall, notwithstanding the shallow pans provided) as the package illustration. The oven now has a place on my kitchen counter.