Thursday, December 24, 2009

Time to Rest and Let Santa Arrive

I had a lot to do today, including a nice time at my ex in-laws with a Christmas Eve dinner and present-fest for the children. I passed off presents to the kids to put under their mom's tree from them to mom; and gave my Ex the Santa gift tags and note from Santa thanking the children for the snack.

Back home, I finished wrapping presents, making sure to use only new wrapping paper for Santa's gifts and bows not of the type I use. I filled the stockings hanging from the fire place. I put out the festive table cloth. And I put away Lamb's note to Santa to save for when she's older, left cookie crumbs and milk residue in the plate and cup, and dropped carrot bits on the floor by the fire place (reindeer are messy eaters, of course--no thumbs at all). God help me, I do chew them to get the effect. Kind of weird, but back in the day Mister fell for it and Lamb is still inspired to a smile that fills her face when she talks about the messy reindeer.

Christmas is truly my favorite holiday. Tomorrow I'll pick the kids up and head to my family for Christmas dinner and more presents.

One thing cracked me up when Lamb finished her note and gave it to me. It was quite involved, and Santa will love it of course:



What cracked me up was the "Happy holidays, Santa" bit. What are they taught in public schools?

I almost told Lamb that really, it's ok to wish Santa, of all people, a Merry Christmas. But why inflict my pet peeves on my little girl? I'm sure she isn't aware that some take offense at being wished a Merry Christmas on Christmas. (Funny enough, at the mall today on the way out, I saw two little Moslem boys, entering with their mom, wishing the Salvation Army Santa a "Merry Christmas.")

Anyway, I hope everyone out there has a Happy Holiday, whatever you celebrate. I'll be having a Merry Christmas.