Sunday, November 27, 2005

Criticism Designed to Help Victory?

The Washington Post (via Instapundit) reports on a poll that hits on something I've harped on for quite awhile now as the loyal opposition nitpicks every decision in the war. Namely, that I could take their criticism if I thought it was genuinely intended to help America win in Iraq. In fact, I do not believe they criticize to ensure victory in war as much as they seek victory in politics.

Really, given that any war will have tremendous blunders on the way to victory and given that I believe this war has had far fewer mistakes than most, the enthusiasm which the anti-war side brings to criticizing that which the know little about is pretty clear evidence that they do not want America to win.

When people who I believe want America to win offer criticism, I have not questioned their motives even if I disagree with their specific critique. But for many on the Left, I just don't believe they hope for victory in the same fight that I support.

I guess I'm not alone:

Their poll also indicates many Americans are skeptical of Democratic complaints about the war. Just three of 10 adults accept that Democrats are leveling criticism because they believe this will help U.S. efforts in Iraq. A majority believes the motive is really to "gain a partisan political advantage."

My only question is how many of that 30% answered the way they did because they know answering truthfully will harm their chances of gaining a partisan political advantage.

Oh, and 70% think criticism of the war hurts troop morale. And 49% think we should only withdraw when the Iraqis can fight without us versus 16% who want out immediately.

For the majority of the critics of the war who would celebrate our defeat, I honestly don't know how they sleep at night.