Friday, December 31, 2004

Diego Garcia Base OK

With all the coverage of the tsunami, I was shocked that it didn't occur to me until a few minutes ago to wonder about the status of our important base at the British island of Diego Garcia in the Indian Ocean. It is really quite important to our presence between the Gulf and Australia and I hadn't heard anything at all in reference to this place. Was it because we are keeping damage quiet so nobody would know the harm?

Thankfully no:

Officials said the Diego Garcia Navy Support Facility, which houses about 1,700 military personnel and 1,500 civilian contractors, suffered no damage related to Sunday’s earthquake and ensuing tsunamis.

I am relieved.

UPDATE: So I go over to the Corner and see that they beat me to the punch on the base status by several hours.