Monday, December 27, 2004

Bold Surrender

I marked this article by Robin Wright as one to hammer. I see that Powerlineblog beat me to it so I won't bounce the rubble:

Robin Wright of the Washington Post calls upon the Bush administration to get its act together and take "bold diplomatic action" in the Middle East. "Bold diplomatic action" isn't exactly an oxymoron -- it's possbile to take such action. Unfortunately, though, in the absence of a prior military victory, bold diplomatic action usually consists of making major and dangerous concessions.

I swear to God, when people study a region for too long, they learn too much. In the end, their idea of boldness and sophistication is to know the locals well enough to identify the guy to surrender to who will be most likely to say thank you. Preferably in perfectly accented French.

Let's try something really bold--victory.